Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

It is home to nearly ten million people, most of whom live in abject poverty. Its long pattern of corrupt governance has rendered its people helpless. It is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. And today, it finds itself in the most dire situation after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake ravaged its most densely populated city, Port Au-Prince. It is feared that more than a hundred thousand are dead and many more unaccounted for in a country too poor to invest in the proper infrastructure that could withstand earthquakes.

Reading, listening, and watching the news unfold in the past 24-hours via CNN, New York Times, radio stations, blogs, etc., I'm compelled to give out of my poverty what I can to do something to the people of Haiti. At times like these, I wish I had more money so that I could at least give more. At times like these, I wish I could be mobilized to even go to ground zero and help in the search and rescue operations. But I believe that if my God could feed thousands with just five loaves of bread and two fish, then my small financial donation could be multiplied in bringing healing and compassion to those in desperate need.

Instead of hearing fundamentalist and televangelists (once again) attribute a horrific natural disaster to the work of God's judgment and a curse, I wish to live out my faith by serving the poor, the weak, and the orphans. Jesus did not come down to condemn, but instead, he came to seek and save what was lost.

Will you join me and others in giving, not out of wealth, but out of poverty to those less fortunate than us? Here are some places taking donations to serve the people of Haiti:

No comments: